This article will show you how to install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Sun Microsystem which is required by some applications like the JXplorer LDAP Browser and the Fedora Directory Server Administration tools.
Installing the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
2. Right click the downloaded file and click Properties
. This will launch the Properties
3. In the Properties window, click the Permissions
tab and check Allow executing file as program
. Click Close
when you are done.
4. Double click the file to execute it and click Run in Terminal
. Press Spacebar
until you reach the end of the text. Type in yes
and press Enter
to agree to the license terms and proceed with the installation.
5. Check your Java installation by typing in the command below. Note down the version.
6. If the version being used is not the one you installed, type in the command below to make it so.
ln -sf /usr/java/default/bin/java /usr/bin/java
The above would be the case if you install the Fedora Directory Server which pulls in on an old version of Java during installation.
1. Enable Firefox to find the Java plugin by typing in the commands below in a terminal window.
ln -sf /usr/java/default/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
2. Launch Firefox and type in about:plugins
in the address bar to verify the presence of Java.
Visit the forum to ask for help or to give a comment.
Posted on 5/25/2008 and last updated on 11/6/2009
Filed under Uncategorized