EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) is a third party RPM repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS. This article describes how to add the EPEL repository in Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS 5 or 6.
1. Install the EPEL package using the command below.
rpm -Uvh http://bit.ly/KANG3P
The full link for the RHEL 6 EPEL package and the links for the lower versions of RHEL are provided below. The rpm command prior to RHEL 6 cannot handle http redirects so no bit.ly links have been provided.
2. Verify the installation using the command below. You should see epel
in the output.
3. Install the Yum priorities package using the command below.
yum install yum-priorities
4. Edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
and add the line below under the [epel]
5. Test your configuration using the command below. You should see a priority protections
message in the output.
Visit the forum to ask for help or to give a comment.
Posted on 7/24/2011 and last updated on 6/21/2012
Filed under CentOS 5 , CentOS 6 , Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 , Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 , System Administration